Welcome to the Saturday Spotlight, a weekly feature that shines the light on Indie and Debut authors. This week I have the pleasure introducing readers to:
~Author of Haole Wood~
Behind-the-Scenes of a Glamorous Writing Life. . .Or, How to Caulk Your Shower
by Dee DeTarsio- 2012
by Dee DeTarsio- 2012
In my search for creativity for a holiday story I’ve been working on, I apparently scraped the bottom of the barrel, or at least the grungy grout in my shower. You know things aren’t looking good for our heroine, when an author decides to caulk the shower instead of write the story.
I was convinced the anti-spa flora and fauna mildew in there was blocking my mojo. Last time I tackled my shower, I was bound and determined it wouldn't get moldy. Instead of the recommended 3/16th bead line of compound, I may have quadrupled that. (OK, more like 11 times that, but I'm not sure what that word would be.)
It took me two days of slashing, hacking, sawing, and clawing to try to get the old stuff off, using every implement at my disposal. (Including but not limited to: can-opener, screwdrivers, razor blades [suitable for wrist slashing, don't think I wasn't tempted], my husband’s Ginsu knife, please don't tell him, bleach, and my daughter’s tweezers.) I removed what I could, then caulked anew, my finger snagging on every imperfection, bump in the road, hash mark of fingernail scrapings.
Oh. I’m sensing a metaphor here. Maybe it’s the bleach talking, but life is 75% elbow grease, and, like an iffy-caulking job, can be pretty from afar, but far from pretty. I like to think I use my remaining 25% wisely, with fresh, white towels and orchids to help smooth out some of the rough spots.
Mele Kalikimaka and Happy Holidays! (Note: I am still canoodling with my holiday story, but I did manage to finish this guest post--Hi, Tina! Thank you so much for having me!) If you aren’t quite ready for the holidays, I have a giveaway of Haole Wood for your kindle, open to everyone.
Dee DeTarsio is a writer living in southern California. After growing up in Ennui, Ohio, and graduating from Ohio State University she vowed 'never to be cold again' (in a tantrum more worthy of Suellen than Scarlett) and ended up in Tucson, Arizona, producing the news for the CBS affiliate, oddly enough called KOLD-TV. She moved to San Diego where she worked in the SeaWorld entertainment department as a producer/writer (penguins are mean!), before producing and writing for the NBC affiliate.
From the girl who ate too many potato chips, Dee is the author of women's fiction novels, THE SCENT OF JADE and THE KITCHEN SHRINK (both finalists in the San Diego Book and Writing Awards),'TIL SOMEBODY LOVES YOU, ROS, and HAOLE WOOD. Though her mother never beat her (that hard) and her father is not a celebrity, she suspects one of her four sisters is a vampire.
Thanks a ton Dee for stopping by and for that fun guest post. I know Im super excited to dive into Haole Wood, wishing you the best of success with your book.
Today Dee is giving away one Kindle eBook to a lucky winner. Everyone is welcome to enter, please just leave a comment by August 11, 2012.
When San Diego weathercaster, Jaswinder Park, is mysteriously summoned to the island of Maui in Hawaii to help her grandmother, she ends up losing her job. This fair-haired, light-skinned foreigner, called haole by the natives, decides to stay in Maui for a couple of days until she can figure out what to do with her life. She realizes that her quick trip to Maui may not be all she’s hoping for when:
-She has to bail her Hawaiian/Korean grandmother out of jail for possession of pakalolo.
-The only thing she can understand her grandmother say is: “Not that.”
-She can’t decide which hurts worse, her sunburn, hangover, or memories of the night before.
-She’s labeled the “Liquor Licker” on the front page of the Maui News in a photo that shows her doing a shot of tequila with a hunky Hawaiian who’s been found dead.
-It seems she’s had orgasms that have lasted longer than her career.
-She scrapes the bottom of the barrel to find her guardian angel.
Beautiful fabric found in her grandmother’s closet unfolds a future for Jaswinder as she designs sensuous silky wraps called sunshminas that provide sun protection. She tries for a Hollywood connection, but her company, Haole Wood, has some growing pains. From trying to find a killer, to selling her sunshminas, to lusting after Dr. Jac, the island dermatologist, to trying to ignore her so-called guardian angel, can Jaswinder learn to embrace the island way of life? Aloha!